Saturday, July 17, 2010

Put some South in yo' mouth!

Today I went and checked on my garden.  My corn hasn't been looking that great and I decided to take a peek.  As I began to peel back the silk on one corn ear after the other, I became broken-hearted to discover that ants like Silver Queen Corn too.  Chalk it up to another gardening fail.  Check out the little buggers.


No sense in keeping it around...when I get mad, I start ripping stuff out of the ground.  Maybe I need a little gardening anger management.



Refusing to let the corn get me down, I went to the grocery store and purchased 18 ears of corn.  I was determined to put up some corn this year (not sure what happened, but 2 yellow ears wanted to play).



After shucking the corn on my back deck (which totally made me feel like an awesome Southern girl!), I boiled the ears for 10 minutes.


I learned this nifty little trick online.  Using a bundt pan to secure the corn cob while cutting all of the corn off...all the corn falls neatly (well, almost) into the pan.  Nice!



I ended up with 4 quarts...I wish I would have made more!  I will probably get more corn this week.


Tonight for dinner, we had an ultimate Southern meal.  Purple Hull Peas from Smith Farms, greens, creamed corn, macaroni and cheese, and cornbread.  Mmmm Mmmm.




Lastly, I have to show off my cute little dog, Stoli.  He just got a haircut!  Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment