Tuesday, January 26, 2010

And so it begins...

I have been wanting to start a garden for a few years now, but I haven't made the time.  This year I am ready to do it!  I have a few motivations for wanting to grow my own fruits and veggies.  First, it's just plain cool to grow something out of a little seed, water, sun, and dirt.  Second, I have been on a money-saving mission lately (that's a whole other story, but I have a new found obsession with coupons).  Third, call me a "prepper"...if a disaster strikes (economic, natural, etc.), I've got food in the ground.  Fourth, what better way to be healthy than to have an abundant (hopefully) supply of organic fruits and vegetables in my own backyard.  Lastly, I enjoy a new adventure and I think this will be fun! 

So, I am not doing this alone.  My dear friend Melina is going to be starting a garden also.  Together we will figure this out and help each other along the way.  Her motivation is similar to mine and to say we are excited is a total understatement. 

We plan to do a raised-bed lasagna garden (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf582744.tip.html).  Our raised beds will be 4'x8' constructed out of 2"x8" boards.  Yep, we are making these ourselves.  Tonight was quite an adventure as we went to Home Depot to buy the supplies.  We loaded down the back of Melina's Chevy Trailblazer...it was quite a sight!  We plan to construct these raised beds on Saturday.

Here are some pics of our Home Depot adventure. It's only January so I think we are both hoping we don't get tired of this gardening business before Spring rolls around.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments: