Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oh joy!

Do you know what I have been looking forward to? Composting. How many of us waste veggies and fruits that wilt, spoil, or rot before we can eat them? Well, not anymore. That celery that has been in my fridge's veggie bin since (cough) Christmas will be put to good use. Speaking of Christmas, it sure felt like the holidays when I got home today to find this on my porch...

Photobucket


And so the fun begins! I can't wait to make plant super-food out of wilted lettuce, coffee grounds, newspaper scraps, and leaves. Check it out!

Photobucket


Now, I also have another little trick up my sleeve. What's cooler than an Aqua Globe and a Sham-Wow (and a little less cool than a Snuggie)?

Photobucket


A Topsy Turvy!!! I plan to grow my tomatoes, hot peppers, and strawberries upside-down on shepherd's hooks in my garden.

Lastly, today's special shipment of garden goodies is special for another reason. All of this cardboard will be part of the first layer in my "lasagna" garden. Look at me, I'm a little green!

3 comments:

  1. welcome to bloggerville! your topsy turvy tomato cracks me up. i have to admit, i love those 'as seen on tv' gimmecks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Sea! You crack me up! I'm excited to see how this turns out! The Topsy Turvey thingies actually work really good! Have you read the book "The Square Foot Gardener"? You gotta! It would be perfect for ya...run to the library and check it outie! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura - I have heard of that technique...I am doing something pretty similar. My friend Melina (the one that is doing all this with me) my try it since she is plating such a big variety. :)

    ReplyDelete