Saturday, June 5, 2010

Flowers = Happiness

Today I ran a bunch of errands, nothing exciting just a hair trim, the bookstore, and my usual Saturday run to Home Depot.  I needed some plant ties because my tomatoes have a mind of their own and I am just here to support them.  I went with a gentle Velcro version and so far I think these will work nicely.


While I was at Home Depot, I saw the prettiest flowers.  I think they are petunias (shows you how much I know) but whatever they are they are gorgeous and they made me smile.  Also, they are HUGE.  This pot almost takes up my entire outdoor table.  Oops...but I had to have them.



For the garden, I have a couple of updates.  First, I have a red tomato.  I think it will be just ripe for picking in the next few days.  I am drooling thinking about it.  How will I enjoy my first tomato?  On white bread with Hellman's Mayonnaise and a little S&P of course!  Nothing beats a tomato sandwich.


Up next, Spaghetti Squash.  I am really excited about these, because (refer to previous post where I cooked one) these are pricey if you buy them at the store.  Also, they are really tasty and are very similar to spaghetti noodles but healthier (I am not a health nut, but its true).  These are sprawling and I think I might have them all over the yard before its all said and done (same with the pumpkins!).


I am starting to get little bean flowers and they are still climbing beautifully.


Ok, this is the annoying bragging section.  I think I am going to be good at growing banana peppers.  So far, I've picked all of these!


And....this is nothing to brag about really, but something I am kinda proud of.  Almost 7 years ago when Kevin and I got married, we received a gift card to Pier 1 and I purchased a super-cute plant stand with it.  Year after year, I fill up clay pots with flowers or herbs and they ALWAYS die.  Sometimes I've even filled them up twice a year and nothing happens but death and disappointment.  Maybe I have morphed into a natural gardener, maybe I take more time, or maybe I am just getting lucky but for the first time ever I am having great luck with my plant stand.  The herbs that I purchased at Bennett Nursery are still thriving (refer to  springtime post when I potted them).  I use these herbs a lot too.  Just today I made some mint sweet tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment