Friday, February 26, 2010

Food-Filled Weekend!

Last weekend I got a couple of fun things for my yard, a plum tree and a blueberry bush!

Photobucket

Of course, I will have to wait a few years before I can even start hoping for a plum but the sooner its in the ground the sooner we'll have fruit. I've never heard of this, but when I was at Home Depot I saw a "Fruit Cocktail" tree. I googled it when I got home and sure enough, it really exists! The fruit cocktail tree at Home Depot grows apricots, plums, peaches, and nectarines all on the same tree...amazing. I didn't get it because I knew nothing about it at the time, but now that I've looked into it a little more I may have to go get one. So So Cool!

This weekend I have a lot of things on the menu...new things to try (all in an effort to eat more veggies!). I am going to do Act #2 of the roasted root veggies and succotash since it was such a hit. The main dish will be a roasted chicken. Do you know I have never cooked a whole bird? I can't wait! I hope it is pretty when it comes out of the oven (either way, I'll share some pics). I have everything I need except some kitchen twine so I will go on a hunt for that tomorrow. I just plan to put lemons in the cavity and coat the chicken with a little oil and add salt, pepper, thyme, and a little rosemary. On Sunday, I am making Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf with whipped potatoes and green beans. Kevin should love that! He thinks mushrooms should go in every dish. Lastly, on Monday we are going to have spaghetti, but instead of noodles we'll try spaghetti squash. A $5 squash vs. an $.89 pack of noodles is a pretty big difference so it better be good! If nothing else, we'll try something new and add scraps for the compost bin.

Speaking of the compost bin, its not easy getting used to having it. I've accidentally thrown out compost-able material 3 times without realizing it! I've thrown out part of an onion, an orange peel, and coffee grounds. I started looking online for a kitchen crock to put my scraps in, but decided that is just too fancy for me...a plastic bowl will do the trick.

Photobucket

This bowl now sits on my counter at all times. I try to dump it out at least once every 2 days so we don't get bad smells in the house.

I forgot to mention earlier, I am also making a couple of snacks this weekend. Some friends of ours just had a baby and we are going to take them some food (I'll just make double so we'll have some too). I am going to make Grape Salad and Black Bean & Couscous Salad. Both are very tasty! I have a bad habit of eating so much of the grape salad that I get sick, ha! I'll try to show some restraint this weekend.

I can't wait to post pics of my chicken...I hope it turns out to be tasty.

Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! You are so crafty!!! Good luck on the fruit and I hope the chicken was grand! I too need to start composting...you are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you sweet! :) I get a kick out of your blog too missy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A second Blueberry of a different variety will offer additional pollination as well as a second harvest if you choose an earlier or later harvesting variety. I purchased the blue crop, and the Jersey from HD last week also. One bears fruit in Mid-Summer and the other in Late-Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you post the recipe for the roasted root vegetables and succotash recipe on our FB recipe board? I would like to try it.

    Thanks, Kathy

    ReplyDelete