Sunday, February 7, 2010

Now comes the hard part...

I don't know for sure, but I think setting up the garden site must be the hardest, most labor intensive part of gardening. Taking a blank canvas backyard, developing a plan, making sure the soil is nutrient rich, etc. seems like the least fun activity when it comes to growing your own fruits and vegetables. We actually enjoyed today (even though it was in the low 30s outside)...if we enjoyed today, I think we'll really have fun with the garden this Spring/Summer! Today my husband and I got all this taken care of. Until late April, we really don't have that much to do. This is our soon-to-be garden area

Photobucket

This part of our backyard gets the most sunlight so we decided to place the boxes here

Photobucket

We started with a layer of cardboard boxes (notice the beer boxes, ha! ...Thanks Ruggby's!). We saturated this layer with water to encourage it to break down.

Photobucket

Then we added a layer of leaves & mulchy material that we got from the woods across the street from our house.

Photobucket

I made a quick run to Home Depot for some garden soil and peat moss. The Rogue is loaded down!

Photobucket

My laborer (aka. husband) helped so much! Thank you honey!

Photobucket

After our "lasagna layers" were complete, we covered our beds with black plastic bags so that it can "bake".

Photobucket

So, until April there will not be much to blog about. I will start my tomato plants inside and my herbs (hopefully) will continue to grow. I also will be adding to my compost bin. This weekend I added an orange peel and some coffee grounds. C'mon Spring!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Great start! I'm hoping to get off my butt and start a garden too....right now, I'm living vicariously through your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete