Saturday, February 20, 2010

We're in this together!

Melina and I met at her house at 6am (eek!) to get started on her garden beds. We started by figuring out where they would be placed in her backyard and then beginning her lasagna layers. After we got the newspaper/cardboard layer placed, we had to take a break for water aerobics. We had such a great time (this was my first water aerobics experience), and our instructor was an Asian, female version of Richard Simmons (headband and all!). She had a super-high intensity level and I never knew a pool workout could be so challenging. I loved it and we hope to make this a Saturday morning ritual. After our workout, we had lunch and got back to the garden preparation. Melina's layers are exactly like mine (cardboard/newspaper, leaves/mulch, peat moss, and soil), but she added another super-awesome ingredient...

Photobucket

Composted Manure! Is it bad that I now have poop envy? Seriously, I am going to have to go get some of this stuff! Take a look at her garden beds...

Photobucket

Remember, her middle bed is stacked because she will use that for root vegetables that need a little more depth. I think we are both excited because our garden beds are ready to go, but also a little sad that we don't have anything to do until we can plant in April. I also should have mentioned that today was BEAUTIFUL outside! We haven't seen the sunshine in quite some time, so we really enjoyed ourselves being outdoors.

For now, I am going to research all of the fruits and vegetables I intend to plant. I need to take a look at space planning for my garden and draw out my plans. Once I get that finalized, I'll post the details.

Happy Saturday to All!

4 comments:

  1. http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KitchenGardenDesigner

    The link above helped map my raised beds for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I got me some "Black Kow" today too. Don't tell Nola that I used her Radio Flyer to transport 200lbs of cow manure. :)

    ReplyDelete