Sunday, April 25, 2010

I love cake!

This weekend I felt like doing something crazy...I wanted to make a cake with fondant icing. I have always wanted to do this, ALWAYS. I have watched Duff and crew on Ace of Cakes long enough that I kinda get the process, but executing is always tough. I decided to make a 2-tier cake (go big or go home, right?) using a WASC(White Almond Sour Cream) cake, buttercream filling, and marshmallow fondant top. These are the recipes I used:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Rolled-Marshmallow-Fondant

So, I had to make the fondant (thanks to my mom for getting me that Kitchen Aid mixer years ago...this stuff is so sticky, I can't imagine kneading it by hand) and let it cool.

Photobucket

Then I made the cakes and they also had to cool. I did all of that on Saturday.

Photobucket

Saturday night I also had to make a run to Michaels because I needed to get some cake decorating gear. This cake was expensive, but now I can make one for a lot less money because I have the right tools/gadgets.

Photobucket

Sunday, around 5am and full of excitement, I woke up and decided to get to work. I made a batch of buttercream and leveled my cakes (each tier has 2 layers). I rolled out the fondant and luckily for me it went on smooth.

This is the first tier...Poor Kevin was forced to get out of bed at 6am to come check this out.

Photobucket

Tier 2 went on like a charm, I was so stoked!

Photobucket

I had to make another batch of fondant so that I could make different colors. I decided to do dots and a flower on top. This is the finished product...

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was so much fun! I will definitely do this again (hopefully next time for an occasion so I am not stuck with a huge cake). For the most part, I think Martha would be proud. ha! One thing she would not be proud about is the mess I made...check out the disaster!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I am so inspired....I always wanted to try to do that!!!

    ReplyDelete