Saturday, March 6, 2010

Adventures in Cooking...

Maybe it's knowing that spring is around the corner, maybe it's out of boredom, or maybe I am just looking for something interesting to post on my blog, but lately I've been wanting to try new things in the kitchen.

Today for lunch, I finally made the spaghetti squash. All I did was split the squash lengthwise, take out the seeds, rub a little olive oil on the inside (with a sprinkle of salt and pepper), and cooked cut-side down on a lined cookie sheet at 350 for about 40 minutes. It was fun to see how it really does look like spaghetti and it was surprisingly tasty! Kevin gave it a try and he liked it a little, but I think we'll be sticking to regular spaghetti noodles more than the spaghetti squash. Either way though, we can cross this off of our culinary bucket-lists.

Photobucket

Tonight for dinner I made Chicken Souvlaki Gyros with homemade pita bread, Greek Salad, and Tzatziki sauce. It was delicious! I've never really made any type of homemade bread (other than a few breakfast/dessert breads) so this was fun to try. It was pretty easy and really nice to know I made our whole dinner myself.

Here are my pitas

Photobucket

Check out the finished product, it was so tasty and really hit the spot!

Photobucket

Tomorrow I have another tasty meal planned. I am going to make grilled beef filet with a Gorgonzola cream sauce and garlic mushrooms, baked potatoes, and grilled artichokes with garlic butter. I think it will be a hit with Kevin. I have eaten artichokes from the jar/can in dips and salads, but never in the true form. We'll have another "first" tomorrow! It is fun being adventurous! I'll be sure to post pics of our dinner.

I'm still a little under the weather, so I am off to an early night's sleep. I can't wait to start feeling like myself again.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm..I want to be invited to dinner tomorrow night. Ok seriously want the recipe for this and the one you are making tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the online recipes I used:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Souvlaki-Gyro-Style/Detail.aspx

    http://www.grouprecipes.com/1000/home-made-pita-bread.html (I used AP flour and they turned out great)

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Filet-Mignon-with-Gorgonzola-Cream-Sauce/Detail.aspx

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Killer-Artichokes/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete