Saturday, May 22, 2010

Random Happenings

This week started out not-so-great...I experienced my first (please God let it be the last!) root canal. I am feeling like myself again so that makes me happy. Tooth pain is no fun. I stocked up on soft foods (mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, applesauce...you know, empty carbs). I also discovered that I had a semi-deprived childhood when a sweet co-worker told me about some super-easy kid food that I've never had. Everyone remembers "Ants on a Log" (PB, celery, and raisins), grilled cheese, etc, right? Well, have you ever heard of applesauce and marshmallows? I decided to test it out on my super-sensitive mouth and it was wonderful! It was super easy too, all you have to do is mix a tad of cinnamon and sugar in with applesauce in a baking dish and cover with marshmallows. Cook at 350 until the tops of the marshmallows get golden brown. Yum!!

Photobucket

I also was inspired by my friend Laura to make homemade granola for the first time. After checking out her recipe and looking at several online, I kinda came up with a hybrid recipe. It smells so good and tastes delicious...thought I would share in case anyone is interested:

Ingredients:

1 - 18oz container of Old Fashioned Oats (not instant/quick cooking)
1 - 6oz container of sunflower seeds
1 - 4oz container of sliced almonds
1 - 4oz container of shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon (more if you like cinnamon as much as I do)
1 teaspoon of salt


3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons of olive or canola oil
3/4 cup of honey

Preheat oven to 300. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, heat up the wet ingredients and pour into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix well (should be clumpy) and spread mixture on 2 cookie sheets and bake for around 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Store in an airtight container.

Um, someone needs to clean their oven...please tell me I am not the only one.

Photobucket


Since this blog really highlights how dorky I am, I have to show my new exciting craft room item. A ribbon organizer!! I've always wanted this in my office/craft room, and I found this really cheap at Michael's.

Photobucket

This picture also makes me smile because my cute little orchid that my friend Angie got me for my birthday is making a cameo appearance. Also, notice the personalized wine glass on the top shelf? That was part of my birthday present from my mom...I kept telling her that she got me a "pimp cup" for my birthday!! haha! My mom rocks!

This morning, Kevin and I weeded the garden a bit (I hope he'll be cutting the grass later...it's getting shaggy) and I took a picture. I love the progress!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment